Do you enjoy troubleshooting and machines? Are you determined to fix problems and help others? Have a polite, trustworthy nature and a knack for details?
Then you may be a good fit for Job Corps’ Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning, Pre-Apprentice training program. Pre-apprenticeships are focused on preparing students for a successful experience in a Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP). That means your hands-on training will be based on industry standards in order to prepare you for high-skill, quality employment.
On the job, you will ...
- Work on heating, ventilation, cooling and refrigeration systems that control the temperature and air quality in buildings and homes
- Complete insurance forms
- Install and clean HVAC systems and communicate directly with customers
- Provide recommendations for maintenance to improve the system
- Be organized and able to keep a clean record of works performed
Some of the career options you will have ...
Individuals with their HVAC certifications often go to work for construction contractors and private businesses, while some are self-employed. HVAC technicians work full time and may work evenings or on weekends. During peak heating and cooling seasons, technicians may work overtime or irregular hours.
Students should also consider pursuing Advanced HVAC, Preventive Maintenance Technician and other Advanced Training programs at Job Corps as part of their career pathway.
The credentials you will earn ...
In the HVAC, Pre-Apprentice program you can earn industry-recognized HVAC credentials from the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and certifications in construction safety and health from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
Students should also earn a state-issued learner’s permit and driver’s license upon completion of the program.
What you’ll need to start training ...
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent (can be earned at all Job Corps centers)
- Completion of all introductory and career preparation courses
- Passing scores on all written and performance tests
- Meet academic (math and reading) requirements